Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Yard Waste / Garbage / Recycling

Yard Waste

ONLY Village residents* may dispose of tree branches from their Village property ONLY at the brush pile behind the Village Barn on DPW Drive. Branches must be placed on the pile neatly. No bagged leaves, trash or other foreign items. Absolutely NO commercial use. If you dispose of your Christmas tree in the brush pile please make sure all decorations have been removed.

Any non-resident or commercial use will be subject to fines.

This is a service to village residents who do not have a location on their property to dispose of branches. The branches are ground into chips at the expense of the Village taxpayers, hence no outside use is allowed.

ANYONE is welcome to pick up/take chips from the pile, as long as they leave the area neat. 

*A village resident is a person who owns or rents a property in the one square mile that is the municipality known as the Village of Freeville. If the property you live at pays Village taxes, you are a resident. Just because you have a Freeville mailing address does not mean you live within the Village limits.  Click here to view an interactive map of the Village limits.


The Village of Freeville contracts with Casella Waste Systems for garbage pick-up for Village residents. Garbage is picked-up Thursday mornings, and should be at the curb by 6:00 a.m.  On the following holiday weeks, garbage pick-up is delayed one day: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Should you have any issues with pick-up, please contact Casella’s directly at 607-277-5361.

All garbage must be bagged.  One tag is good for 20 pounds of garbage.

The Casella tags are available by the sheet ($14 per sheet of 12 tags) at the Village Hall MWF from 8:00 to 11:00.  You can also request tags be sent to you by mailing us (or dropping in our drop box at our entrance) a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check made out to the Village of Freeville. Tags can also be purchased at several area locations, including Clarks and Kinney Drugs in Dryden, Wegmans and Tops in Ithaca.

If you do not live within the Village limits, you can consult with Tompkins County regarding available trash pick-up in your area:


Tompkins County Recycling contracts with Casella; recycling pick-up is every other Friday in the Village.  Containers should be at the curb by 6:00 a.m.

For more information, including what is accepted and the recycling schedule for our municipality, visit . If you would like a printed copy of the Curbside Recycling Guidelines for Tompkins County, it is available at our office.

Electronic Equipment

It is illegal to dispose of electronic equipment in your garbage. Tompkins County residents can recycle electronics free of charge at the Recycling and Solid Waste Center, 160 Commercial Ave., Ithaca. For dates and hours of drop off of hazardous materials and electronics, go to  (Finger Lakes ReUse 2255 North Triphammer Road, accepts electronics that still work, then refurbishes them for sale.)